Connect with us

Health & Wellness

LAGOS ACCESS BANK MARATHON RACE: LAGOS POLICE FORTIFY SECURITY, PLEAD WITH MOTORIST TO PLY ALTERNATE ROUTES

Published

on

HAkeem Odumosu

 

In preparation for the annual Lagos/Access Bank Marathon race scheduled to hold on Saturday 10th April, 2021, the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered for deployment of adequate police operatives across the state, particularly at strategic places and designated routes for the race, to beef up security.

The proactive steps of the Commissioner of Police were geared towards providing security for the athletes, especially the elite athletes, the officials, the invited dignitaries, water and refreshment points and other facilities meant for the event.

The Commissioner of Police had earlier ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Operations, to design an Operation Order, numbered CJ: 3910/LS/DOPS/VOL.28/63, dated 8th April, 2021, to that effect, to cater for general security and public safety during and after the race; and to manage the heavy traffic, which is imminent due to the closure of some roads across the state on Saturday.

The Commissioner of Police has also ordered officers and men detailed for the special duty to keep miscreants and hoodlums at bay in order to avoid any attacks or harassment on the athletes and other participating dignitaries right from the starting point, the first gate of the National Stadium, Surulere, to the terminal point, the Eko Atlantic, Victoria Island, Lagos.

By and large, CP Hakeem Odumosu, has however appealed to the general public, especially those who have essential reasons to move around while the race lasts, to be patient, law-abiding and cooperate with police officers and other security agents deplored for the special duty across the state for smooth traffic management and general safety of all and sundry.

Business

Heritage Bank Synergize With Road Transport Workers to Provide Insurance Scheme for Commuters 

Published

on

By

Heritage Bank in partnership with the Road Transport Employee’s Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) has launched the Travelers’ Accident Insurance Scheme (TAIS) to assist road accident victims across the country. The scheme which was launched on Friday aims to address deaths associated with the inability of travelers involved in accidents to offset hospital bills.

 

The Regional Executive, Abuja and North, Heritage Bank Plc, George Okoh-Oboh, speaking at the launch of the scheme in Abuja, commended the thoughtfulness of the Association in coming up with such a program to save the lives of accident victims.

He stated that the partnership would help address the road safety crisis due to the tragic loss from a road crash death or severe injury which was compounded by the harm to families, social networks, and national economies.

 

 

According to him, the majority of victims are part of the working-age population (between 15 and 64 years old). In fact, road crashes have become the #1 killer of the young worldwide.
He pledged the continued support of the bank in ensuring the success of the scheme.
Okoh-Oboh said, “At Heritage Bank, we believe in this project and we are ready to support it as it seeks to address accidents on the road.
“This project will save lives of many Nigerians, so we are not just here to see what comes in but we are here to add value and ensure that it succeeds.”

 

The National President of RTEAN, Musa Muhammed in his remarks said that the scheme aims at promoting the welfare of passengers, while ensuring security for passengers’ property.
He explained that the scheme would provide support to passengers who may be involved in accident at the course of their journeys.

 

“This scheme covers all Nigerians involved in accidents that require medical attention while on a road trip.
“This is part of effort to assist and improve the Nigerians transport system,” he added.
According to him, the scheme will cover only parks owned and operated by members of the Road Transport Workers Association.

 

He further stressed on the need for the government to deepen investments in road infrastructure, while ensuring security along the major road.
Nicholas Tofowomo, Senator representing Ondo South Senatorial District of Ondo State at the 9th National Assembly, urged transporters to ensure that workers are properly licensed and vehicles insured.
This, he noted, would ensure the effective implementation of the scheme.

Continue Reading

Health & Wellness

Covid-19: Mobile Court Sanctions Face Masks Violators in Abuja

Published

on

By

Covid-19

 

In a bid to curb the spread of the deadly Covid-19 virus, authorities in Nigeria’s capital city, Abuja have established an outdoor mobile court in an effort to prosecute individuals and institutions violating rules imposed. With the spike in the a second wave of infections, with over 143,516 cases and 1,710 deaths reported, these figures are believed to fall short of the real toll since the testing capacity is low. The use of face masks are compulsory in public spaces and social distancing is advised across the country, but these rules are rarely observed by all sundry across Lagos, Ogun and Abuja.

 

Since early February, a mobile court setup at the Eagles Square few steps away from the Supreme Court and National Assembly complex in Abuja have prosecuted violators who failed to adhere to the Covid-19 rules.

“Today, we had about 46 people, three were minors,” Attah Ikharo, chairman of the task force said on Wednesday.

“Those who pleaded guilty (for not properly wearing a mask) were fined 2,000 naira (about $5),” said defense lawyer Nnamdi John.

Punishments can include community service and even jail term. Last month, President Muhammadu Buhari signed a new law in January prescribing a six months jail sentence for those disobeying Covid-19 guidelines.

 

The city’s task force is hoping to establish two more mobile courts by the end of the week as the virus continues to spread across the metropolis.

A variant strain of coronavirus has been discovered in recent months in Nigeria but it remains unclear whether it is more contagious or deadly.

The country is expecting to receive 16 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine through the Covax programme by the end of the month and also 1 million unit of vaccine donated by BUA groups.

 

Continue Reading

Health & Wellness

COVID-19: Bed Space Occupancy rate reduced drastically in February – Lagos Commissioner for Health Prof. Akin Abayomi

Published

on

By

Prof. Akin Abayomi

During the weekly briefing on the second wave spike of Covid-19 cases in Lagos state, Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, says the bed occupancy level in the state’s public and private COVID-19 care centres has reduced drastically to 46 per cent. Abayomi disclosed this via his verified Twitter account @ProfAkinAbayomi, on Friday, 10th of February. According to him, from December 2020, there was an increase in bed occupancy at the state’s COVID-19 public and private isolation and treatment centres.

 

He, said from the beginning of February there had been a decline in bed occupancy rate at both private and public COVID-19 Lagos Care Centres.

“Bed occupancy rate has dropped further to 46 per cent from 50 per cent in the last two days,” he said.

Abayomi added that the state recorded 236 new COVID-19 infections on the reported date, increasing the state’s confirmed COVID-19 infections to 52,510.

The commissioner said the total of COVID-19 tests conducted in the state since the inception of the pandemic stood at 323,825.

According to him, 3,589 COVID-19 patients were successfully treated and recovered and were discharged from the state’s care centres.

 

Abvayomi said 42,950 COVID-19 recoveries were recorded in communities while cases currently under isolation were 161, and active cases under home-based care now stand at 5,481, the state recorded two new COVID-19 related fatalities, increasing the total deaths to 329.

Earlier, Abayomi said as the government was striving to contain the spread of the virus, residents should play their part by using their facemasks, washing of hands, and adhering to social distancing guidelines.

He advised that as long as breathing was not compromised, residents could double-mask to protect the person beside them, and reduce their exposure to aerosol.

Abayomi, however, said the N95 mask was suitable for protecting medical professionals.

Continue Reading

Trending News